Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Funny thing about that...perspective

I was laying in bed this morning, contemplating the day and the activities I have planned.  First up is to clear my desk of all the paperwork that has accumulated.  I am actually kind of excited about that as I have Christmas cards to write and need a place to write them.  I have one table/flat area in this house and it's my desk.

A passing thought floated through my head as Simba was patting me on the forehead, "it's going to be so magical that first day I get up and look out of the kitchen window and see snow coating the world."

I got up and lo and behold it wasn't as I daydreamed.  I looked outside and there was snow on the roof next door.  But not enough to be magical.

It hasn't coated the ground, there are leaves all around and grass is visible, I walked George and giant flakes flew out of the sky, but they are the wet kind of snowflakes, not the light fluffy snow-globe snowflakes.  Giant wet messy flakes of snow.

As I laughed at my disappointment, it came to me that either my expectations are too high, my imagination of the moment is too great, or my perspective is off.

I had thought it would be 'that magical moment', but instead of appreciating the wonder of the fact that I had 'sensed' the snow without seeing the outdoors,  perhaps it was in Simba's howl, I sighed at the less than spectacular scene outside.

It really is about perspective.  It really is how I choose to approach life.  How I choose to approach situations, big or small.  This morning was a reminder to me that,  in spite of expectations, there is magic in each moment.

Things may not be exactly as imagined but, there is still something good to be squeezed out of each breath.  Breath itself?  A roof, a hound, a cat.  A house, heat, running water.  These are things for which I am  grateful.  

The snow?  the snow will takes it's own time floating from the sky, being it's own self, light fluffy, or heavy and wet.  It will follow and yet at times appear to defy the rules of gravity.   That in and of itself is fun to watch.

I was reminded today to try to keep a positive perspective in spite of the gap between expectations, imaginations and what I ultimately experience with my own two eyes...

No comments: