Thursday, November 03, 2016

Soooooo….the only problem was I forgot to shred the kale leaves….

Okay so that wasn’t the only problem.  This is to serve as a warning to anyone who sees the ingredients, thinks yum, and tries to recreate this dish.  It isn’t that good.

Oh, the eggs were fresh.  Very fresh, according to the woman at the Northside farmers market – ‘washed that morning’ she said.  Well that’s fresh.  Any fresher and they would still be warm…  I couldn’t tell, since they were buried under vegetables.

I was a little over zealous on the veggies.  I decided to cut up a whole onion, 4 small tomatoes fresh, yet green, from the neighbor’s vine last week and which, now red, if I didn’t eat in the next two days would no longer be tomato but more like salsa…without the sals… it would be ah mush.

And because I have 5 onions I cut one up thinking – hey I will sauté lots of veggies and split it into two batches.  One for dinner tonight and the other ready for breakie tomorry.

And…because I am being creative, I thought rings – I will make rings out of this medium sized yellow onion…which you know was okay until I got to the last quarter. I then remembered why I usually chop my onions. 

I am a chicken with a knife.  Worried about cutting myself and without anyone here to look at it if I do cut it.  I would have no idea what needed to be done.  ER for stitches or a little Neosporin and a band-aid.  I wouldn’t be able to look.  I know from experience.  That’s a story for another time.

So, I have mostly lovely thin rings and about a quarter of the onion sized rings.  Fire up the cast iron pan and sweat those puppies.  Add salt, and pepper and celery seed.  I believe this last ingredient is because what I actually wanted was tuna fish with mayo, pepper and celery seed.

I let that run for a while until they started to get translucent.  Tossed in the tomatoes and to get them to evaporate cranked up the heat.  The water from the tomatoes evaporated and as I started moving the tomatoes around I realized the seeds have stuck to the bottom and the tomatoes are as mushy as if I hadn’t decided to eat them but left them instead on the counter. 

As I beat the eggs I realized I needed to put the kale in.  I pulled it from the stalk but left the leaves in-tack so, giant kale leaves.  I pressed them down hoping they would get soft enough to split with my wooden spatula.  Nope.  Instead of pulling the veggies out and doing the eggs separately, giving me a chance to possibly cut the giant kale and onion to scale, I poured the eggs in. 

It was quite pretty! 

Even prettier when I added the Spanish Smoked Paprika.  I glanced up from the stove and saw the spice bottle.  It was from Spain, it was great in the Paella (which I can cook, but for 12 people).  So why not…Gorgeous.  Bright yellow, red, green and paprika!

I was too impatient to let it set, so I stirred it around.  Not as pretty.  I turned it and turned it until it was well and overly cooked.  I don’t like raw eggs, I don’t like runny eggs.  That’s my kitchen M.O.  cook the heck out of anything that could poison me if under done.  Except Paella.  Paella I can cook…

I ate half of it from a bowl.  I included the giant kale in this serving.  I wanted to get that part over with.  The rest will be for breakfast tomorrow, or lunch maybe. 


Moral of this story?  Don’t bother with farm fresh eggs if you’re not going to shred the kale…or cut the onions so they cook evenly or use celery seed and …  Spanish smoked paprika.

Laura
ps. iloveu

No comments: